Congratulations to Alison Mathey, Ben Richards and Steve Studley for conquering the Patriots Half Ironman in blazing 100 degree heat!!!! Ben placed second in the Aquabike division, earning more hardware, and competed in the Sprint race on Sunday. Way to go Arlington Masters.
Ben celebrates his podium finish
Alison and Steve celebrate their finish
We had a busy weekend with team members competing at the US Masters Long Course Nationals Swim Meet, Luray Triathlon, and Mont-Tremblant Ironman.
ARMS had eight members (Alison Mathey, Brittany Van Arkel, Joanne Hopkins, Colleen Moore, Jen Wheeler, Dan Summers, Aaron Frederick and John Guiffre) participate in the US Masters Long Course Nationals Meet at the University of Maryland and placed 28 out of 144 teams. Each member placed in the top ten for their age group in at least one event, ensuring that everyone on the team earned at least one medal! We also participated in the Mixed 200 Freestyle and Medley Relays earning 4th and 5th respectively. Many of the participants dropped time in their events and John Guiffre placed 1st in the Men’s 400 Meter IM in his age group!
Additionally, we had a strong showing with four team members (Steve Studley, Amanda Telford, Zsuzanna Jeney and Seb De La Cueva) competing in the Luray Triathlon.
Finally, Mike and Dawn Stevenson also participated in the Mont Tremblant Ironman. Dawn had a great first Ironman showing placing 5th in her age group and 22nd in the overall female category with a time of 10:37:52. Mike placed 68th overall and qualified for Kona with a time of 10:00:52!
1) DCRP Long Course Meet, Saturday June 21, 2014
2) Team BBQ! Saturday June 21, 2014, 4pm, hosted by Jayme and Steve. 6060 9th Street North, Arlington, VA 22205. Please bring a side dish, appetizer or dessert to share.
3) Summer Long Course Nationals at the University of Maryland, August 13-17, 2014
Congrats to everyone who swam in the zones meet at GMU- Coach Dan, Steven, Ellen, John, Alison, Colleen and Joanne. Our very own John Guiffre shattered two zones records in the 200 Fly and 400 IM for the 18-24 age group!
John, Dan, Steven, Ellen & Alison
Steven, Joanne, John, Colleen & Ellen
Joanne counting laps for the 500 free
John about to break a record!
This month’s stroke clinic will be Tuesday March 11, 2014 during normal practice times (8:30-9:30pm). Come brush up on your technique and fine-tune your strokes.
Don’t let the snow get you down. There are lots of meets and events to sign up for to keep motivated:
- March 15: Albatross Open (short course meters)
- March: IM 70.3 Puerto Rico and IM 70.3 California – we have at least 3 swimmers doing these races.
- APRIL 4-6: Colony Zones – online registration begins Feb 22.
- MAY 24-25: Jim McDonnell Swim – REGISTRATION IS OPEN! Let’s get a big group for Sunday and make a picnic out of it. Open water clinic is on Saturday and the races are on Sunday.