We hope everyone is staying safe and healthy! As you may have seen, Arlington County has made progress in their plans to reopen the indoor pools this summer. They are aiming to open in July, but have not announced an opening date yet. We have been in contact with the County to ensure that Masters has lanes as the pools reopen. While we will not be going back to a normal practice schedule at first, we are excited to be able to get back in the pool sooner rather than later. We will be sending a more detailed email once we finalize the details with the County.
- W-L and all Arlington County pools will be closed through April 13. This means there will be NO PRACTICE for the foreseeable future! You should have also received an email from USMS and Potomac Valley that all swim meets have been cancelled as well.
- Please practice healthy habits and safe social distancing, so that we can all get back in the pool as quickly as possible. You never know how healthy someone close to may be.
- Additionally, in an effort to keep everyone motivated to stay active, if you post a picture or video of yourself doing a non-swimming workout to the Facebook group page, you’ll be entered to win a 6-punch pass when the pool re-opens!! [If you don’t have Facebook, feel free to email and we’ll post for you]. So get creative and have fun! Hopefully we’ll be back in the pool soon.
- It’s that time of year to renew your USMS membership! The cost of renewal is $75 (which includes USMS, Zone and ARMS fees all in one). Everyone who was a registered member in 2019 should receive a custom email on or around November 1, from USMS with a personalized link to renew for 2020. If you do not receive a personalized link, the general link is here. Sign the waiver and select Potomac Valley as your LMSC and ARMS as your club. Bring proof of membership (either printed or via cellphone) to the front desk by Jan 1, 2020. If you do not have a USMS membership by January 1, 2020, you will not be able to practice with the team. USMS membership is necessary for liability and insurance.
- The pool is closed on Monday November 11th during practice time in observance of Veterans Day.
- Mark your calendar for Friday, December 13th. Details to come later this month.
- Are you interested in writing workouts, motivating your fellow swimmers and providing stroke technique/tips? ARMS is looking for an additional coach starting in the New Year to join the rotation of Allison, Dan and Lea. Let the Board know if you or anyone you know is interested.
- We are looking for two front desk volunteers for Tuesday and Thursday nights. It’s a minimal commitment twice a month, or every other week, and just involves showing up 15 minutes before practice to punch swimmers in and field questions of new members. You get a free swim each time you volunteer! We’d love to have some new blood at the desk. Email us if interested!
- The Sprint Classic Swim Meet hosted by the GMU Patriots is being held October 27 at George Mason University. Registration is now open at: http://www.patriotmasters.org/SprintClassic.htm There are 25s! Sign up now!
- The holiday party will be the evening of Friday December 13th at Andie Nelson’s house. Mark your calendars!
Sunday Sept 15 – Practice @ Wakefield Pool
Monday Sept 16 – Practice resumes @ W-L Pool
Friendly Reminder that ALL Practices the week of Sept 8 (Sunday – Thursday) will be at Yorktown High School! See you there!
Sunday Sept. 1 – Regular Practice @ W-L Pool
Monday Sept. 2 – NO PRACTICE
Tuesday Sept. 3 – Practice @ Yorktown Pool
Wednesday Sept. 4 – Practice @ Yorktown Pool
Thursday Sept. 5 – Practice @ Yorktown Pool
* All practices are regularly scheduled times (8:30 – 9:30 pm Tues-Thurs., 6:00 – 7:30 pm Sunday)
- Memorial Day- No practice next Monday May 27th in observance of Memorial Day. Sunday practice will be as normally scheduled, but there will most likely not be a coach.
- Summer Team BBQ– Saturday June 22nd at 909 N Emerson Street, Arlington, VA 22205. RSVP HERE or if you don’t use Facebook, then to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please bring a dessert (lanes 1–2), an appetizer (lanes 3-4) or a side dish (lanes 5-6). Meat and drinks will be provided.
- NATS Swim Night- Friday August 16th Stay tuned for how to sign up for group tickets!
- Punch Pass Reminder: When you show the front desk your receipt for a new punch pass, you need to show your full, original receipt via paper or on your phone (no screenshots) so that the front desk can verify the purchase. We’ve also noticed some swimmers are not signing in and punching for practice. You MUST punch your card and sign in every time you practice with us. Arlington County will also enact a slight price increase on punch cards starting July 1, 2019 to include a Pool Use Fee. The Pool Use Fee adopted by the County Board in the FY’20 budget will be charged to aquatics program participants in all programs (classes, private lessons and teams). The fee will provide additional support to Arlington Public Schools (APS) for the operation and maintenance costs associated with the pools. See below for pricing. Our punch cards never expire, so feel free to stock up now.
- Trial Swim Policy- We no longer offer a free swim for your first trial practice. New swimmers will need to pay the cost that Arlington County charges for a one time swim pass ($10 resident, $13 non resident). A USMS membership is not needed for your first trial swim, only after that.