ARMS practices at Wakefield will end on June 30, 2021. There will be no organized ARMS practices until Long Bridge Aquatics & Fitness Center opens in Summer 2021! Stay tuned for updates.
After almost a year (to the day!) that we last saw each other together as a team in the pool, we have some good news ~ Masters practice is returning to the pool!
Things will be a little different, so please read the below notes carefully. We hope to see you back in the pool soon! Please note, this is a temporary arrangement the team has made with Arlington Department of Parks & Recreation (DPR) and if we are unable to take full advantage of the lane space, the amount of dedicated lane space may change.
– Practice Time: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays; 8:00 – 9:00 pm. Starting on Tuesday March 16
– Location: Wakefield High School
– Safety Precautions: Only 3 swimmers will be allowed in each lane, for a maximum total of 24 swimmers allowed each night. In line with the pool rules, you will be required to wear a mask in the locker room, at check-in, and on deck until you put your bag down and head to your lane. Please DO NOT congregate on deck before and after practice and put on your mask and leave the pool area immediately when practice concludes.
– Coaching: Your regular ARMS coaches will NOT be on deck. However an Arlington DPR coach will be running the practices and will wear a mask on deck. They will guide you through a practice each night. The ARMS Board will be meeting with the new coach before practices begin to let them know how our practices are normally run.
– USMS 2021 Renewal: Because this lane space is dedicated to Masters Swimming, you will need to be an active member of USMS before swimming. You should have received multiple emails on how to renew at the end of last year. You must renew your 2021 membership (or join if you are a new member) BEFORE coming to your first practice for the year. We will be providing a roster of swimmers eligible to use the land space to DPR on Wednesday, March 10th. The cost of renewal is $75 for the calendar year.
– Reserving your lane space: You will need to reserve your spot using the Arlington Aquatics portal. Reservations open 25 hours in advance (so 7:00 pm the night before) and Masters Swimming should be an option. YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY TO RESERVE YOUR LANE SPACE. Beginning on July 1, 2020 everyone must have an APS membership (30-day, school year, 3-month or 12-month) to use Arlington pools. This is in addition to the Masters Punch Card. THIS CHANGE WAS GOING TO HAPPEN REGARDLESS of the pandemic situation and prices to swim with ARMS are still very competitive with other teams in the region. You can see membership rates here.
– Punch Cards: When you arrive at the pool and are checked in you will also need to present your Masters Punch Card to be punched. If you need to purchase a new punch card, you can do so here. If you buy a new punch pass online, bring our receipt to the pool for a new punch pass.
Looking forward to being back in the pool!
We hope you are well and staying safe. We just received some disappointing news from the county. They will not be able to allocate us any lanes until February 2021 at the earliest. In the meantime, you can still sign up on your own. The sign-up portal opens 24 hours in advance. At our annual meeting with Potomac Valley, it appears that most masters teams are in the same situation.
When we have dedicated lanes and practices again, or if you drop in for another team’s practice, you will need to have a current USMS membership.
We will continue to email workouts.If you want company during your individual swims, please post in our Facebook group if you plan on registering at a certain time and other swimmers can try to register for the same time to form a pod workout group.
Let us know if you have any questions and we hope to return to normal next year!
- The registration system had some technical glitches so now reservations are made 24 hours in advance (instead of 8am the day prior). The portal is always what is most up to date. APS will also hopefully be posting notices on their website: https://www.apsva.us/aquatics/
- The pools have had to make some adjustments to the schedule and unfortunately did not notify us. When you sign up in the portal, that will always be the most up to date when you make your reservation. The reserved Masters time now is 8-8:45pm, M-Th, with check in at 7:45pm. We are still getting clarification for Sundays but that will also be current in the portal. APS wanted to make sure everyone knows that the situation is fluid and hopefully we can all stay flexible. Sorry for any mix ups last night!
Please continue to reach out with any questions, concerns or updates and hopefully this will smooth out soon!
As promised, we are following up with more details on the return to the pool. Below is the most recent information we have from the county.
Beginning on Monday, July 13th, we will have will have 4 lanes reserved on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (3 swimmers/lane) with check-in at 8pm and swim from 8:15-9pm. On Sundays we will have 4 lanes reserved (3 swimmers/lane) with check-in at 6pm and swim from 6:15-7:15pm.
Since we can only have 12 swimmers per night, we will split the days of the week by lane: Monday and Wednesday are reserved for lanes 1, 2 and 3 swimmers. Tuesday and Thursday are reserved for lanes 4, 5 and 6 swimmers. Sundays are open. If this doesn’t work for you, you are welcome to sign up on any night if there is space, but please be considerate of the intervals.
A few notes on practices:
- We will not have a coach on deck, but we are putting together workouts that we will email to everyone on a weekly basis.
- A roster has been provided to the county and only the names on the roster will be able to reserve a lane during our designated times.
- You will have to reserve your spot here. Reservations open at 8am the day prior to practice. If you find that you are repeatedly unable to find an open lane slot, let us know.
- When you book, you will need to pay their fee online. It is $6.30/swim for residents, $8.40/swim for non-residents, $4.10/swim for 60+ residents, and $8.40/swim for 60+ non-residents. This is instead of our punch passes for now.
- Swimmers must arrive 15 minutes before practice to allow for check-in. Swimmers will enter the facility through the main entrance and proceed to the designated area to complete a health screening questionnaire and temperature check.
- Masks are required to enter the facility and must remain on while on the deck.
- You cannot use shared pool equipment. We will avoid writing practices that require kick boards or pull buoys, but if you want to use one make sure you bring your own.
- You cannot exit through the locker rooms, so you are required to bring your bag on deck.
Please let us know if you have any questions. We are following the county’s guidance and rules, including pricing, so we will pass on any concerns or questions that we cannot answer.
We hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. Thank you so much for your patience with everything! The plan is subject to change depending on how things progress, but we will keep you posted if anything changes.
We hope everyone is staying safe and healthy! As you may have seen, Arlington County has made progress in their plans to reopen the indoor pools this summer. They are aiming to open in July, but have not announced an opening date yet. We have been in contact with the County to ensure that Masters has lanes as the pools reopen. While we will not be going back to a normal practice schedule at first, we are excited to be able to get back in the pool sooner rather than later. We will be sending a more detailed email once we finalize the details with the County.
- W-L and all Arlington County pools will be closed through April 13. This means there will be NO PRACTICE for the foreseeable future! You should have also received an email from USMS and Potomac Valley that all swim meets have been cancelled as well.
- Please practice healthy habits and safe social distancing, so that we can all get back in the pool as quickly as possible. You never know how healthy someone close to may be.
- Additionally, in an effort to keep everyone motivated to stay active, if you post a picture or video of yourself doing a non-swimming workout to the Facebook group page, you’ll be entered to win a 6-punch pass when the pool re-opens!! [If you don’t have Facebook, feel free to email and we’ll post for you]. So get creative and have fun! Hopefully we’ll be back in the pool soon.
- It’s that time of year to renew your USMS membership! The cost of renewal is $75 (which includes USMS, Zone and ARMS fees all in one). Everyone who was a registered member in 2019 should receive a custom email on or around November 1, from USMS with a personalized link to renew for 2020. If you do not receive a personalized link, the general link is here. Sign the waiver and select Potomac Valley as your LMSC and ARMS as your club. Bring proof of membership (either printed or via cellphone) to the front desk by Jan 1, 2020. If you do not have a USMS membership by January 1, 2020, you will not be able to practice with the team. USMS membership is necessary for liability and insurance.
- The pool is closed on Monday November 11th during practice time in observance of Veterans Day.
- Mark your calendar for Friday, December 13th. Details to come later this month.
- Are you interested in writing workouts, motivating your fellow swimmers and providing stroke technique/tips? ARMS is looking for an additional coach starting in the New Year to join the rotation of Allison, Dan and Lea. Let the Board know if you or anyone you know is interested.
- We are looking for two front desk volunteers for Tuesday and Thursday nights. It’s a minimal commitment twice a month, or every other week, and just involves showing up 15 minutes before practice to punch swimmers in and field questions of new members. You get a free swim each time you volunteer! We’d love to have some new blood at the desk. Email us if interested!
- The Sprint Classic Swim Meet hosted by the GMU Patriots is being held October 27 at George Mason University. Registration is now open at: http://www.patriotmasters.org/SprintClassic.htm There are 25s! Sign up now!
- The holiday party will be the evening of Friday December 13th at Andie Nelson’s house. Mark your calendars!